


Now that the holidays are over, we're getting back into our daily routine again. Strange how well Patrick did at going down for naps when we were in Louisiana, but now that it's just he and I, he wants to sleep anywhere but in his bed! Figures. I was so busy bragging about how big he's gotten, and how well he's doing at sleeping without being held, and here I sat yesterday holding him for a 3 hour nap! At least now he's mostly sleeping through the night, which helps Luke and I get a bit more rest. Sometimes he'll wake up and Luke merely puts a pacifier in his mouth and then he's right back to sleep.
Funny how end up doing things that you said you'd never do, like using a pacifier for your child. I really wasn't intending to use one... and in all reality Patrick isn't addicted to one either, it's just a
helpful tool to get him to sleep. He's getting more and more interested in mouthing things, but usually ends up slobbering all over his fists throughout the day. We're going through 3-4 bibs and burp cloths per day, just because of the drool factor!
Today I took a video of him holding himself up on his elbows while lying on the floor. I had to help him roll over to his tummy from his back, but once he was there, he held his head and chest up all on his own - it was awesome (isn't it amazing how exciting the simplest things are when it's the first time you've seen it?).
Over Christmas Patrick had a couple of other "milestones"... He began pulling himself into a sitting position (even though he can't balance there yet) & we heard his first real laugh. Meanwhile, with all the joys we're experiencing with Patrick, I started having trouble with my wrist. It began feeling as though I had sprained it, even though I knew I had not fallen on it or done anything that would warrant such a feeling. I've rubbed it and rested it as much as possible, but it didn't seem to be getting better. The complaints led Luke to do a general search online, and there he discovered an article called "Mommy Thumb". Yes, I didn't believe it until I read it for myself, but it was there, right on the web... this condition called "Mommy Thumb" exists! It is technically a case of tendinitis, but is a direct result of lifting a child repeatedly. What ridiculousness, right?! Well, ridiculous in the fact that you can get an injury like this from taking care of your baby... but not ridiculous in the aspect of the pain - it's really quite uncomfortable! I'm doing my best to lift Patrick without putting strain on my thumbs now (as this is the suggested method to help give relief). Never in my wildest dreams would I have believed this would be something I had to consciously consider when I handled him... but there it is, making me change my way of doing things! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment